Monday, June 16, 2008

Moo-ry Christmas!

I have had this Penny Black stamp for a number of years and just touched it to ink this past weekend. I joined the Christmas Card Challenge at SCS a few years ago and it has been a great help to get me to finish my Christmas cards each year, usually with plenty of time to spare.

For those of you unfamiliar with this challenge, I'll 'splain: The idea is to determine how many Christmas cards you will need and commit to stamp about a 10th of them every month, starting in January, so you will finish them in October and have less hustle and bustle and hassle during the holidays. I usually need to stamp about 150 cards, so it's a huge undertaking. I used to stamp 100+ of the same card design until a couple of years ago when I grew bored with it and decided to make a minimum of 10 designs. Often, I will also stamp a Christmas card as one of the weekly color combo or sketch challenges and add it to my stash. To visit the Christmas Card Challenge forum at SCS, click here. You can join at any time, even though it's 1/2 way through the year.

I had fallen a bit behind in my challenge cards, so this past weekend, I sat down and completed about 50 cards and I have now finished 90 cards of the 150 I need for this year.



To make this cute card: Cut a 5.5" x 12" piece of red cardstock from a 12"x 12" sheet. Score across the strip at 2.5" from one end and 4" from the other. The larger fold will be at the top of the card and contains the cow image.

Next, I stamped a white panel with the Cow background from Cornish Heritage Farms using Black Palette Ink. My friend Chris Franco, a TAC demo got me hooked on this ink. It's my first time using it and I do like it, though I may have gotten a darker image using SU craft ink. This panel is cut 1/4" smaller than the lower flap of the card, so 5.25" x 2.25". The upper panel has Glorious Green as the first layer, measuring 3 7/8" x 5 3/8". The black layer is 1/8" smaller in each direction, and the white panel is 1/8" smaller than the black panel. I stamped the cow on the right side of the white panel also using Palette Ink.

After that, I pierced the corners for a touch of interest. The 5/8" polka dot organdy ribbon, red and black gingham, and gold cord are all from Pink Hedgehog Paper Crafts. I tried and tried to find a stamp that says "Moo-ry Christmas", but after an unsuccessful search, I resorted to my computer and printer. I used a Wild West type of font and printed out enough copies for the cards I was making. I used my Nestabilities to cut out the 3 ovals. I centered the smallest oval over the sentiment and then cut it out and ran it back through to emboss it around the edges.

I adhered the cow image panel to the green panel, then wrapped the polka dot ribbon around the side and taped it on the back, then adhered both panels to the top of the card, and the cow print to the bottom. I adhered the 3 layers of the tag together and punched a 1/8" hole off center and tied the red & black gingham and gold cord to the tag. The tag is popped up on foam tape. Finally, I fastened the card shut with 1/2 of a velcro dot.

To see my other 3 card designs from this weekend, visit my gallery at Splitcoast Stampers by clicking here.

No comments: