Friday, May 8, 2009

When I think of Spring, I think of birds!


I love to watch birds in the Spring. I have a sliding glass door in my office with a view of the valley. I have lots of different bird feeders hanging from the bottom of the deck, right where I can see them all day. My cats enjoy sitting inside looking at the "birdie buffet" outside the door. I get so much pure joy in watching all of the different kinds and colors of birds as the seasons progress.

I found a great book at amazon.com all about birds in the Northwest. The best thing about the book is that the edges of the pages are colored and the book is divided into sections according to the main color of the birds. This makes it incredibly easy to look up any bird you spot.

A friend of mine taught a class at our church's Enrichment Night for women. One of my responsibilities is to oversee the planning of these meetings, which we hold once a quarter. We usually have dinner and then we have activities as varied as crafts, service projects, cooking, quilting, seminars, and classes about different topics. My friend taught about gardening. She is an amazing gardener and has really helped us move our efforts in this department along. I wanted to make her a nice gift to say thanks.

This notebook is the result of my efforts. I was thinking while I made it that she could use it as a gardening journal. When she opened it, she said she was going to use it for exactly that purpose!! I used some patterned paper from a big package I picked up at Costco a couple of years ago.

I found the directions on SCS a while ago. One of the VSN projects in January of 2008 was to make a covered Composition notebook. I got the instructions from the VSN post for that particular challenge. These notebooks have been one of my go-to gifts ever since. They are elegant and classy, yet very inexpensive to make, and not really that time consuming either.

I thought I would use one of my favorite sets, Feathered Hope. I just love the softness of this set and the poems and sayings just touch my heart even though I have read them many times. Emily Dickinson just does that to me!

Supplies used:
  • Composition notebook
  • Costco DP
  • Stampin' Up Ruby Red, Certainly Celery, and Very Vanilla cardstock
  • Celery 1/4" grosgrain, olive organdy, and chocolate organdy ribbons from Pink Hedgehog Paper Crafts
  • Stampin' Up! Feathered Hope stamp set
  • Memento Tuxedo Black Ink
  • Prismacolor Pencils and Gamsol

1 comment:

Chris said...

Beautiful job - I love how you have the birds on top and then lower below the saying. It all looks great! :)