Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Eskimo Kisses

I never can get enough of Riley stamps. I just ordered a few more last weekend! I usually purchase mine at Hannah Stamps, she has free shipping when you spend $35, which is only 5 wood mounted Riley stamps....can't wait for the mail lady to bring them to me!!


This card utilizes three different basic techniques that can make your papercrafting more interesting.
  • The first is Colorblocking: I love to use this technique when I want to put a number of different designer papers on the same project. I actually used 5 different papers from the Eskimo Kisses paper pack. See if you can spot all 5 of them. To do a colorblock, I usually start with my background paper (navy in this case) and measure out the size of my first piece. On this project, I cut the striped piece at the top and then worked my way around the card, measuring and cutting as I went. A good paper cutter is essential for this technique; be sure to use one with tiny increments. My favorite to use on my desktop is made by Fiskars and has a sliding orange blade. You can make your blocks as large or as small as you want. I opted for only 4 large blocks on this card.
  • The second technique is Paper Piecing: If you look closely at Riley's chair, you can see it is actually stamped on patterned paper. To paper piece a project, just stamp your image as you normally would on white or another neutral paper. Then, ink your stamp again and stamp onto a piece of patterned paper. Now, you will cut up the image you stamped on the patterned paper. I cut out the three different parts of the chair/ottoman. Make sure to use very good scissors with sharply pointed tips. After cutting out the chair and coloring the main image, I simply glued the chair pieces over the image stamped on white cardstock.
  • The third technique is Paper Piercing: Look closely at the corners of my main panel. I pierced the 4 corners of this panel. It is harder to see in the photo, but in person, it leaves a really nice touch.
Card Deets:

No comments: