Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Two Christmas Cards

It's been a busy couple of weeks with the new satin ribbons coming into our store. I've hardly had time to stamp but finally made time yesterday and today!


Michelle (sf9erfan) on SCS came over this morning with her boys. The boys played outside, eating blackberries and grapes, swinging on the tire swing, and then ended up blowing the fir needles off of my driveway on their hands and knees!!! LOL

Meanwhile, Michelle and I were inside, up to our elbows in the retired SU paper pack Wintergreen. We've done this in the past, usually with amazing results. We get together and do the SCS sketch challenge using the same paper and stamps. Today she brought over this great set from Inkadinkado. I'm loving this set! We both stamped in Versamark and embossed using dark brown embossing powder. From there, her card took a different look from mine. I used differen sides of the DP than she used. The only thing we have in common on our cards is the 3/8" chocolate satin ribbon from Pink Hedgehog Paper Crafts , the stamped image, and the white DP I used on the background. To take a peek at her card, click here: Michelle's Card



I designed this card for a couple of reasons. First, there is an Oregon/Washington gathering for SCS this Saturday, andI designed this card for the shoebox swap. Second, I'm loving chocolate in my Christmas cards for some reason, and I need to make about 2o more to be done for the year, so I made 10 of these for my own stash.

To make this card and get the triangles perfect, this is what I did: I cut my card base 5.5" x 11" and scored, then folded it in 1/2. The largest chocolate layer is cut 5 3/8" square. I cut two pieces of DP (Almost Amethyst and Old Olive) 5.25" square. After cutting the squares of DP, using my Fiskars paper cutter, I put the square into the paper cutter on the diagonal, so the two opposite corners were right on the cutting line. This way, when I cut, I get two even triangles. Then, I take each of the triangles and put them in the paper cutter with the longest flat side towards me and the point facing up. Then, when I cut again, I end up with 4 equal triangles that I can then use for the card. When I do it with two different papers, I can alternate them as shown in the photo. I did the same thing with solid papers for the layer directly under the snowflake.

The snowflake is embossed using dark brown embossing powder. The Polka Dot ribbon is May Arts, currently available in our ebay store and coming soon to our website. The brads are from our custom colored brad collection. These brads match Old Olive and Almost Amethyst. The sentiment is stamped in Chocolate Chip and is from Papertrey, in their Out on a Limb set.

No comments: